Thursday, July 8, 2010

Prosperity's Just Around the Corner

I went to see Dr. Bruce Beaver D.D.S. last week after the incident with the soundboard. (The band made a big stink about the whole incident, so I had to reimburse them for their equipment. Thankfully, they deal in skunk cabbage, which is easy enough to come by.)

Bruce was a nice enough bloke, but carrying on a conversation with him was like pulling teeth. But that’s precisely his job, so I guess it works out. It had occurred to me that my cash flow had been unidirectional ever since I left the motorcyclists, and what with the dentist visit and the ordeal with the smelly Kiss band, it might behoove me to find some gainful employment. I asked the Beaver poking around in my mouth how he got into dentistry.

He had always dreamed of being a dancer, but at the annual job fair held by the East Tennessee Critters Employment Training Conglomerate (ETC ETC), he stumbled into the booth placed alphabetically contiguously to that occupation, and was bitten by the dentistry bug. He pointed out that the fair was being held again that weekend.

I went with every intention of getting in with the psychologist crowd but I happened into the puppetry booth, and what can I say… a star was born. Apparently, average starting pay for puppeteers is $490,000 or something like that. I got my hand puppet certification over the weekend, and I’ll start tomorrow morning with a show at 7:45 at the Helen Keller Elementary School for Bats.

No comments: